The cost of prescription drugs is a major roadblock for many people seeking access to proper healthcare. Out-of-pocket medication expenses can quickly add up, leading to many individuals being unable to afford the drugs they need. This situation is especially challenging for those who are uninsured or underinsured, have limited financial resources, and face increased health risks.
Steps You Can Take
To help provide necessary medications to patients, different organizations offer several assistance programs to subsidize the cost of prescription drugs. These programs are offered to qualifying patients through government and not-for-profit organizations.
Health Insurance Plans
There are government health insurance plans, such as Medicare and Medicaid, that can provide coverage for prescription drugs. If you qualify for these programs, you can enroll and receive help paying for your medications.
- Medicaid is a government insurance program that provides coverage to low-income individuals and families. If you qualify for Medicaid, you can receive coverage for your prescription medications. Medicaid is a state-administered program, and eligibility varies according to different states.
- Medicare is a federal government insurance program that offers coverage to individuals aged 65 and older. It also provides prescription drug coverage through Medicare Part D. You can receive coverage for your medications by enrolling in a plan that covers prescription drugs.
- Medicare Plan Finder is a tool Medicare provides to help you find a suitable prescription drug plan in your area. You can learn more about the assistance you can receive for your prescription drugs, such as Extra Help or the Medicare Savings Program.
Certain states may also offer additional insurance programs for prescription drug coverage that you can explore.
Aside from Medicare and Medicaid, these are a few organizations that offer prescription drug assistance programs:
Pharmaceutical Assistance Programs (PAPs)
Pharmaceutical companies, like Pfizer, AbbVie, and AstraZeneca, offer PAPs to individuals who cannot afford their medications. These programs allow patients to obtain prescription drugs at a lower cost or for free, provided they meet certain eligibility criteria, such as low income or a lack of insurance.
Prescription Assistance Charities
Charities such as the HealthWell Foundation and the Chronic Disease Fund provide financial assistance to patients who cannot afford their medications. These organizations help cover a portion or all of the cost of prescription drugs for eligible individuals.
Non-profit organizations such as the National Patient Advocate Foundation and the Partnership for Prescription Assistance provide resources and financial assistance to patients who cannot pay for their medications. These organizations are dedicated to helping patients attain the prescription drugs they need to maintain good health.
Veterans Affairs (VA)
The VA provides prescription drug benefits to eligible veterans, including coverage of necessary medications. This program is designed to support those who served in the military and meet certain eligibility requirements.
Discount Discovery Platforms
There are also several discount discovery platforms that help people find affordable prescription drugs. These platforms offer various services, such as prescription discount cards, coupons, and price comparisons. These are some of the top ones used:
- GoodRx is a widely used platform that provides free prescription discount cards and coupons to help people save money on prescription drugs.
- SingleCare is a similar platform to GoodRx that offers prescription discount cards and coupons. Users can search for their medication and compare prices at local pharmacies. SingleCare also offers discounts on dental, vision, and virtual doctor visits.
- RxSaver is another platform that offers prescription discount cards and coupons. Users can search for their medication and compare prices at local pharmacies. RxSaver also offers a feature called the “Price Medication Tool,” which allows users to see the price history of their medication at different pharmacies.
- Blink Health is a platform that offers prescription discount cards and coupons. The medication is then delivered to their home or picked up at a local pharmacy.
- NeedyMeds offers prescription discount cards, coupons, and a drug discount database. NeedyMeds also offers a patient assistance program that helps people who cannot afford their medication.
- Scriptsave WellRx is a platform that offers prescription discount cards and coupons. Users can search for their medication and compare prices at local pharmacies.
- FamilyWize offers prescription discount cards and coupons. Users can search for their medication and find the lowest price available at local pharmacies.
Weigh Out Your Options
Prescription assistance programs offer critical support for people who need help affording their medications. Patients can find the assistance they need by exploring options such as pharmaceutical assistance programs, prescription charities, and state programs. It’s important to compare the options out there to find the most affordable prescriptions and assistance for you and your loved ones.